1. The mineral elements are absolutely necessary for supporting normal growth and reproduction.
2. The minerals are components of protoplasm. The elements having variable valency bring oxidation and reduction reactions e.g. Fe, Cu.
3. K+ ions help in the opening and closing of stomata.
4. Salts of weak acids and weak bases act as buffers.
5. Minerals maintain osmotic potential of cell sap and permeability of plasmalemma.
6. Minerals also act as cofactors and thus bring catalytic reactions.
7. K+ and boron help in transportation of food in the phloem tissue.