Location : It is present in the neck. Thyroid gland is the largest endocrine gland. It is bilobed and both the lobes are connected by isthmus.
Structure: The thyroid gland is a lobular structure having two lobes. The lobes are connected by a thin flap like connective tissue called isthumus. The thyroid gland has two types of cells called follicular cells and stromal tissues.
Hormones synthesized : The thyroid glands release two hormones which are tetraiodothyronine or thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3)
Functions of the hormones:
1. The thyroid hormones play an important role in the regulation of metabolic rate.
2. they support the rate of red blood cell formation.
3. They control the metabolism of proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
4. They maintain water and electrolyte balance in the body.
5. They regulate the blood calcium levels.